Stainless steel crowns are customized dental restorations designed specifically for children. They are made from a durable and long-lasting material called stainless steel, which is known for its strength and resistance to corrosion. These crowns act as protective caps that cover the entire tooth structure, providing a strong barrier against further damage or decay.
The Process of Placing a Stainless Steel Crown
The process of placing a stainless steel crown on a child's tooth is relatively simple and straightforward. It typically involves two separate visits to the children's dental office in San Ramon or Livermore.
During the first visit, the pediatric dentist in Livermore or San Ramon will examine and prepare the affected tooth for the crown. This may involve removing any decay or damage from the tooth and shaping it to ensure a proper fit for the crown. The dentist will then take an impression of the prepared tooth, which will be used to create a custom-made stainless steel crown.
While waiting for the permanent crown to be made, a temporary crown will be placed on the child's tooth to protect it. This temporary crown is usually made from pre-formed stainless steel crowns that can be adjusted to fit comfortably in the mouth.
At the second visit, which usually takes place a few weeks later, the pediatric dentist in San Ramon or Livermore will remove the temporary crown and replace it with a permanent crown.
Benefits of Using Stainless Steel Crowns in San Ramon or Livermore
Stainless steel crowns in Livermore or San Ramon offer numerous benefits when it comes to dental treatment for children. Here are some advantages that make them a popular choice:
- Durability: Stainless steel is known for its strength and durability, making it an ideal material for dental crowns. These crowns can withstand the daily wear and tear that comes with chewing and biting, providing long-lasting protection to the tooth.
- Easy Placement: The process of placing stainless steel crowns is relatively simple and less time-consuming compared to other types of restorations. This makes it easier for both the child and the pediatric dentist, ensuring a comfortable experience during the procedure.
- Protection: One of the main purposes of using stainless steel crowns is to protect damaged or decayed teeth in children. These crowns cover the entire tooth structure, preventing further damage and reducing sensitivity.
- Cost-effective: Stainless steel crowns are cost-effective compared to other alternatives like porcelain or gold crowns. This makes them a viable option for parents who want quality dental treatment without breaking their budget.
- Aesthetics: While stainless steel may not be as visually appealing as other materials, such as porcelain or ceramic, it serves its purpose well in primary teeth, where aesthetics are not a major concern. The focus here is on functionality rather than appearance.
- Protection against further decay: Stainless steel offers excellent protection against recurrent decay by sealing off any vulnerable areas within the tooth structure from bacteria present in saliva or food particles.
Ensure your child's dental health at Dr. Amit Goyal Pediatric Dentistry! Call (925) 553-7173 to schedule an appointment at our San Ramon dental office located at 111 Deerwood Rd, STE 345, San Ramon, CA 94583. You may also schedule an appointment at our Livermore dental office located at 3107 Independence Dr, Livermore, CA 94551, by calling (925) 245-0158. We are accepting new patients at both our San Ramon and Livermore locations. Your child's happy and healthy smile is our top priority!